Monday, August 22, 2011

A Heart-Wrenching Goodbye

In the 1950s, my grandparents bought a beautiful ocean-front house in Saltaire on Fire Island, NY. 8 years ago, we sold it but with a provision that allowed us to rent it back for two weeks each August... for 8 years. So today is my last day in my family house, the end of an era that spans my entire lifetime (and practically all of my father's) and connected me to a grandmother I never had the privilege of meeting as well as family, friends and experiences that have shaped me in every possible way. I am full of gratitude for the years I've had here, flooded with memories I know will forever remain some of my fondest and, although I'm sure I will be back out to visit, feeling like I'm saying a heart-wrenching goodbye.

Late afternoon view from the upper deck:


Placard honoring my grandmother at the Fire Island lighthouse:

No comments:

Post a Comment